Application Developer (front end), Superdesk
Superdesk is an end-to-end news creation, production, curation, distribution and publishing platform. It is scalable to suit news organisations of any size, with a modular approach that makes it easily extensible. Superdesk is changing the way news is created, powering newsrooms around the world to work smarter, not harder.
Your role on the Superdesk team
- Work on developing a mission-critical web application, architected as a Python server, RESTful APIs and a powerful Web client;
- As a critical member of the Superdesk team, you will play a key role in the design and implementation of various Superdesk components and features;
- As part of an Agile team, you will have the opportunity to work on the architecture of the Superdesk client application and other different core components, touching a variety of different web technologies. Have a look at https://github.com/superdesk/superdesk-client-core to get a better idea of the tools we use;
- You will be responsible for the design, implementation, and testing of the Superdesk client platform and evaluating third-party and open-source software and technology that can be incorporated.
- Writing and reviewing application code;
- Contributing to technical project direction;
- Working on the front end architecture of the system and other different core components;
- Collaborating with other front-end developers, backend developers, QA and DevOps engineers;
- Documenting what you help build.
- You will be consulted on front end application design and product feature decisions. You should bring a lot of new ideas to the table on ways we can improve our working processes and on new technologies we can leverage.
- Candidates should be based time zones UTC+0 to UTC+5
- You have 3+ years of experience working on the front end of a web application at scale;
- You are experienced in client application development working with RESTful APIs;
- You have experience with GitHub-like development workflows using pull requests for code review;
- You have worked a lot with database technologies including both relational and NoSQL systems. You are familiar with cloud storage services as well;
- You also have good knowledge of testing principles;
- You have experience working with Agile development methodologies, in particular Scrum;
- You have very strong communication and team collaboration skills;
- You are fluent in English: this is a must (we are an international team and this is the language we speak internally).
It would also be great if you had experience in:
- Refactoring large-scale systems;
- Working with other web technology stacks including Elasticsearch, Node.js, MongoDB;
- Operating and deploying large web applications;
- Developing server-side applications and APIs using languages like Python.
What we offer
- We offer a position in a highly international organisation of interesting and cool people, with projects and staff on nearly every continent;
- We also invite you to work in a small and highly nimble team that likes to move quickly. We’ve got big plans for Superdesk.
- If you have an interest in new forms of online journalism, this position will certainly give you some great insights. Our developers often visit or interact with newsrooms directly, consulting with them on how to make the most of our tools;
- Work in small and agile teams that move fast and break stuff following best development practices.
How to Apply
Please send your CV, a short motivational letter with salary expectation, and examples of projects you've worked on (if you have a Github/Bitbucket profile, please share the link) to email@example.com.