Senior Full-Stack Web Developer - Live Blog - Belgrade, Prague or Berlin
Sourcefabric is a nonprofit that builds open-source tools for media organisations all over the world. We're looking for an experienced full-stack web developer to join our Live Blog team.
Live Blog is an open-source web app that allows journalists to include text, multimedia and social media snippets into a series of blog posts that become a structured timeline for moment-by-moment news coverage. It is a creative, digitally native format that is being used by major media organisations such as Germany's national news agency dpa, Zeit Online, NZZ, Rheinische Post, and others.
• Work closely with Live Blog’s product owner on the conception and realisation of new product features;
• Use your deep understanding of web technologies and APIs to advise on the system’s architecture and to coordinate front-end and back-end development;
• Focus on code quality and testability;
• Share your knowledge of good code practices with the rest of the team;
• Continually improve technical processes to get us operating more efficiently;
• Interact frequently with our CTO and with developers on other projects at Sourcefabric, in particular with the team building Superdesk, our newsroom management platform
Your skills and experience
• Several years of experience with full-stack web development;
• Strong knowledge and experience in back-end software development, especially with Python web frameworks;
• Well-versed with database technologies, including both relational and NoSQL systems;
• Experience designing and developing RESTful APIs;
• Experience with (or strong interest in) working on Agile development projects, in particular Scrum;
• Experience with GitHub-like development workflows using pull requests for peer review;
• Passion for good engineering and clean code practices;
• Experience with continuous integration is a plus;
• A basic understanding of journalism and newsrooms is optional, but desirable;
• You are preferably located in Belgrade, Prague or Berlin;
• Fluent English is a must.
What we offer
We offer a position in a highly international organisation of interesting and cool people, with projects and staff on nearly every continent.
We also invite you to work in a small and highly nimble team that likes to move quickly. We’ve got big plans for Live Blog in the next six months.
If you have an interest in new forms of online journalism, this position will certainly give you some great insights. Our developers often visit or interact with newsrooms directly, consulting with them on how to make the most of our tools.
If you’re interested in this position, please send your CV, a short motivational letter, and examples of projects you’ve worked on to jobs(at)sourcefabric.org.
Wait for us to reply. Even if we don’t think it will be a good fit for the both of us, we will get back to you!
* NO AGENCIES PLEASE. Please note that we only consider applications submitted by individuals, recruiting agencies should refrain from contacting us.
* Applicants who are already based in the Czech Republic or Germany must have a valid work permit.