Full-stack Developer for Live Blog
Sourcefabric is a nonprofit that builds open source tools for media organisations all over the world. We're looking for an experienced full-stack developer to join our Live Blog team.
Our headquarters are in Prague, however, we’re a distributed company with most employees working remotely from places around the globe. We welcome applicants from any location although being based in Prague or Belgrade would be a plus
Live Blog is an open-source web app that allows journalists to include text, multimedia and social media snippets into a series of blog posts that become a structured timeline for moment-by-moment news coverage. It is a creative, mobile-first format that is being used by major media organisations.
- Work closely with Live Blo2g’s product owner on the conception and realization of new product features;
- Use your deep understanding of web technologies and APIs to advise on the system’s architecture and to coordinate front-end and back-end development;
- Focus on code quality and testability;
- Share your knowledge of good code practices with the rest of the team;
- Continually improve technical processes to get us operating more efficiently;
- Interact frequently with developers on other projects at Sourcefabric, in particular with the team building Superdesk, our newsroom management platform;
Your skills and experience
- Several years of experience with full-stack web development;
- Strong knowledge and experience in back-end software development, especially with Python web frameworks;
- Well-versed with database technologies, including both relational and NoSQL systems;
- Experience designing and developing RESTful APIs;
- Desire to work with Agile development projects, in particular Scrum;
- Experience with GitHub-like development workflows using pull requests for peer review;
- Passion for good engineering and clean code practices;
- Experience with continuous integration is a plus;
- A basic understanding of journalism is optional, but desirable;
- English is a must.
What we offer
We offer a position in a highly international organization, with projects and staff on literally every continent.
We also invite you to work in a small and highly nimble team that likes to move quickly. We’ve got big plans for Live Blog in the next six months.
If you have an interest in new forms of online journalism, this position will certainly give you some great insights. Our developers interact with newsrooms directly, consulting with them on how to make the most of our tools.
Find out more
If you’re interested in this position, please send your CV, a short motivational letter, and examples of projects you’ve worked on to jobs(at)sourcefabric.org.
* NO AGENCIES PLEASE. Please note that we only consider applications submitted by individuals, recruiting agencies should refrain from contacting us.