Application Developer (Backend) - Superdesk
Candidates should be based in EMEA.
Sourcefabric is looking for the next Superdesk application developer. Think you might fit the bill? Read on, my friend, read on.
First things first, what is Superdesk?
Superdesk is an end-to-end news creation, production, curation, distribution and publishing platform. It is scalable to suit news organisations of any size, with a modular approach that makes it easily extensible. Superdesk is changing the way news is created, powering newsrooms around the world to work more efficiently. We want you to help us reach our goals.
Superdesk is built by a non profit organisation, Sourcefabric, that develops a variety of open source tools for media organisations all over the world.
- You love web application development, are a Python specialist and care about good quality software.
- You have 3+ years of experience working on the server-side of a web application at scale. You can easily impress us and show off your experience in backend software design and development, especially with Python web frameworks.
- You are well versed with database technologies including both relational and NoSQL systems. You are experienced in designing and developing RESTful APIs and have experience with GitHub-like development workflows using pull requests for peer review.
- You are proud of writing clean, maintainable code with good test coverage and have no problem mentoring other team members to ensure product quality and that target deadlines get met. You also have good knowledge of testing principles.
- You have experience working with agile development projects, in particular Scrum. You have very strong communication and team collaboration skills.
- You will be consulted on platform design and product feature decisions and you won’t shy away from sharing your expertise. You bring a lot of new ideas to the table on ways we can improve our working processes and on new technologies we can leverage.
Fluent English is required: we are an international team and this is the language we speak internally.
While the following aren’t a must, it would be great if you have experience in the following:
- Refactoring large-scale systems
- Working with other web technology stacks including Elasticsearch, Node.js, MongoDB
- Operations and deployment of large web applications
As a member of the Superdesk team, you will play a key role in the design and implementation of various Superdesk components and features. As part of an Agile team, you will have the opportunity to work on the architecture of the system and other different core components, touching a variety of different technologies.
You will be responsible for the design, implementation, and testing of the Superdesk platform and evaluate 3rd-party and open-source software and technology that can be incorporated.
- Writing and reviewing application code
- Steering technical project direction
- Working on the architecture of the system and other core components
- Collaborating with frontend developers, other backend developers, QA and DevOps engineers
- Documenting what you help build
What we offer
We develop relationships, not just technology.
At Sourcefabric, we know how to work hard, but we also know how to have fun. Our employees are so much more than their jobs, and we recognise that and celebrate it in many ways. From marathon runners to music composers, we continue to learn new and interesting things about our fellow employees every day.
Fast-paced, small and agile teams
Work in small and agile teams that move fast and break stuff following best development practices. Superdesk is growing quickly and will continue to do so for some time to come.
An international environment
Find yourself surrounded by talented team members from across the globe (over 14 countries to be specific).
A competitive work package
This includes flexible working arrangements, fantastic office locations and training opportunities to help you grow and develop your personal skill set.
Annual team get-together
Each year we gather the team in one location for our annual team gathering called Sourcecamp. Past Sourcecamp locations have included Berlin, Prague, and the mountains of Serbia.
How to Apply
Tell us a little bit about yourself (including how you heard about this position).
Please send your CV, a short motivational letter, and examples of projects you've worked on (if you have a Github/Bitbucket profile, please share the link) to [email protected]
Wait for us to reply. Even if we don’t think it will be a good fit for the both of us, we will get back to you!